1. Are you sticking to traditional Thanksgiving foods this year, or are you being culinarily adventurous? We are not adventurous people at all. Anything beyond green bean casserole is considered foriegn and unedible.
2. Tell me something concrete that you’re thankful for. (Something you can literally touch, see, etc., not a concept like “hope.”) I am very thankful for this new job, even though I’m in that difficult newbie stage of not knowing anything and just want to run for the hills or just be home in my jammies watching daytime t.v. I’ll adjust…eventually.
3. You knew the flip side was coming: Share about something intangible that you’re thankful for. Thankful for the overwhelming generosity of my family aka the parents. Without their help from our little “transition” who knows where we’d be or the state of affairs we would be in.
4. Share one vivid Thanksgiving memory. It doesn’t have to be deep or meaningful, just something that remains etched in your memory.
I can remember when I was really little, my parents ordered one of those “boxed” thanksgiving dinners that you can order at the grocery store. I’m sure things have greatly improved since the 80’s with this convienence, but it was the worst ever…maybe it was because I was six or seven and traumatized that my mom didn’t actually “cook” Thanksgiving dinner.
5. What is one thing that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is going to happen this Thanksgiving because it always does, year after year? I would say food will be eaten, pie will be devoured and triptophan induced naps will be taken.
6. Do your pets get any left-overs?
They probably will get a little something something slipped to them from the oldest who always sneaks them tidbits of his food.
7. Does your family pray before the big meal? If so, do you join hands while seated, stand, repeat a formal prayer or offer a spontaneous prayer? Who does the praying? We do pray, we don’t typically join hands, most likely one of the boys will be volunteered to say grace and everyone will state what their thankful for.
8. Will you be watching football in the afternoon? If not, what will you be doing? Most likely yes. If not maybe there will be a good movie on instead.
9. There are two distinct camps of people on this issue: How do you feel about oysters in the dressing/stuffing? I’ve never had it, like I say we are not eat anything beyond the norm kind of people (aka if it’s not stove top, we ain’t eatin it) besides, oysters in this part of the country is unheard of in stuffing. Now I’ll say that and the entire south this west side of the mason dixon line will have something to say ’bout that.
10. Do you consider yourself informed about the first Thanksgiving? I think I’ve got those bases covered.
11. Which variety of pie will you be enjoying? Uhm what kind do you have?… pumpkin, pecan, chocolate, I’ll take one of each. Thanks!
12. Do you feel for the turkey?? (This is a humorous throw back question related to the 12th question in another Random Dozen!) I’m going to say no.. I won’t have any regrets.